Scala del Bovolo Guided Tour
- Guided Tour into Scala Contarini del Bovolo, the spiral staircase most impressive and valuable in Venice
- Panoramic view of Venice from the terrace of the staircase
- Duration 1 h approximately
- Avaliable all days*, the tour departs from Campo San Luca
* except for December, the 25th.
[ AVAILABLE FROM APRIL 2018 ]
What you can expect:
Hidden in a maze of streets and canals, very close to Campo Manin, appears an architectural gem characterized by a style that is among Renaissance, Gothic and Byzantine: the Scala Contarini del Bovolo.
It was commissioned by Pietro Contarini probably around the end of 1400 in order to decorate the facade of the adjacent Palace of San Paternian owned by an illustrious Venetian family. The realization of this work, in fact, did not have at first a functional purpose, but consisted mainly of an act of prestige and aimed mainly to a further growth in the popularity of the family.
The creation of the scale had such a wide appeal that have led citizens to choose a nickname for that branch of the family for which, since that time has been used the nickname Contarini del Bovolo (referring to the particular shape of the staircase “to snail shell” which in Venetian is said precisely “bovolo”).
- Meeting point: Campo San Luca, Bucintoro Viaggi Travel Agency
- You have to arrive at the meeting point with printed voucher strictly 15 minutes prior to departure
- Children 0-5 years are free of charge
Guaranteed departures with minimum 4 people.
NOTE: In case of variation on your reservation please contact us by mail or phone 24 hours before your service (subject to avaliability)
It's recommended to book the tour at least 24 hours before the selected date.